AUDITIONS for the 2016 – 2017 SEASON
Auditions are Closed for the 2016-17 Season. Below is a sample of the process. Next year’s auditions TBA
ChoralArt announces auditions by appointment for the ChoralArt Masterworks. All current Masterworks members must re-audition, and singers new to ChoralArt Masterworks Chorus are invited to audition. Singers currently registered with the ChoralArt Singers will NOT be required to audition for Masterworks.
Auditions will be at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland.
Generally sopranos and altos will be scheduled on August 28th with sopranos as the earlier block of time, followed by the altos.
Similarly, tenors and basses will audition on August 30th, with tenors as the earlier block of time followed by the basses. Exceptions to dates and times can be made.
Singers may make a reservation for an audition by contacting the ChoralArt manager, Gail Knowles, at firstname.lastname@example.org
For your audition please prepare as follows:
- Sing a cappella the first verse of America the Beautiful (“O beautiful for spacious skies…”) in the appropriate key for your voice:
- Soprano I F (begin on c, octave above middle c)
- Soprano II E-flat (begin on b-flat above middle c)
- Alto I B-flat (begin on f above middle c)
- Alto II G (begin on d above middle c)
- Tenor I E (begin on B below middle c)
- Tenor II D (begin on A below middle c)
- Bass I B-flat (begin on F below middle c)
- Bass II F (begin on C below middle c)
- Sing with piano your part in German (mm. 124-154) from Brahms’ “Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen” (PDF available below).
- Sightreading: a moderately easy passage in a major key.
The Masterworks consists of 80-110 voices. They perform primarily symphonic works, often as a guest of the Portland Symphony Orchestra.
Rehearsals are usually held at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland, on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 P.M. A complete schedule of rehearsals will be available at the time of the audition.
• Members must attend at least 80% of regular rehearsals to sing the concert(s).
• Three tardy arrivals or early departures equal one absence.
• Attendance is mandatory at all final rehearsals.
A singer is expected to make a commitment to all concerts in the season.
Absences for extenuating circumstances—your illness, an emergency in your family, or unanticipated job obligations—are completely understandable. An occasional absence from a concert because of travel with family is also OK. Absences for other reasons are viewed less kindly. Members may ask for an exception to the policy, which will be reviewed by the attendance committee. Consistency of attendance will be a factor considered at the time of the next re-audition.
UPCOMING CONCERT SEASON – 2016-2017
The schedule for 2016-17 for the ChoralArt Masterworks comprises two concert events with the Portland Symphony Orchestra: Brahms Ein Deutsches Requiem (March 14, 2017) and Beethoven Symphony No. 9 (April 23 & April 25, 2017). A complete schedule of rehearsals will be available at the time of the audition.