Auditions for ChoralART Masterworks for the 2017-18 Season.
5:00 – 9:00 p.m. on August 28 & 29, 2017
Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland
Singers new to ChoralArt are invited to audition for the Masterworks Chorus. Singers may make an appointment for an audition by contacting the ChoralArt manager, Gail Knowles, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sopranos and Tenors will audition on August 28. Altos and Basses will audition on August 29. Exceptions to dates and times can be made.
For your audition please prepare as follows:
- Sing a cappella the first verse of America the Beautiful (“O beautiful for spacious skies…”) in the appropriate key for your voice:
- Soprano I F (begin on c, octave above middle c)
- Soprano II E-flat (begin on b-flat above middle c)
- Alto I B-flat (begin on f above middle c)
- Alto II G (begin on d above middle c)
- Tenor I E (begin on B below middle c)
- Tenor II D (begin on A below middle c)
- Bass I B-flat (begin on F below middle c)
- Bass II F (begin on C below middle c)
- Sing with piano your part in German (mm. 124-154) from Brahms’ “Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen” (PDF available below).
- Sight-read a tonal melody of moderate difficulty that modulates from minor to major.
The Masterworks consists of 80-110 voices. They perform primarily symphonic works, often as a guest of the Portland Symphony Orchestra.
Rehearsals are usually held at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland, on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 P.M. A complete schedule of rehearsals will be available at the time of the audition.
• Members must attend at least 80% of regular rehearsals to sing the concert(s).
• Three tardy arrivals or early departures equal one absence.
• Attendance is mandatory at all final rehearsals.
A singer is expected to make a commitment to all concerts in the season.
Absences for extenuating circumstances—your illness, an emergency in your family, or unanticipated job obligations—are completely understandable. An occasional absence from a concert because of travel with family is also OK. Absences for other reasons are viewed less kindly. Members may ask for an exception to the policy, which will be reviewed by the attendance committee. Consistency of attendance will be a factor considered at the time of the next re-audition.
UPCOMING CONCERT SEASONS—2017-18
PSO/Masterworks Chorus—The Armed Man, Karl Jenkins
2:30 p.m., Sunday, October 22, 2017
PSO/Masterworks Chorus—Mahler Symphony No. 2
2:30 p.m., Sunday, April 29, 2018
7:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 1, 2018