Auditions for ChoralArt Masterworks for the 2019 – 2020 Season will be held August 26.
5:00 – 9:00 p.m. at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland
Singers new to ChoralArt are invited to audition for membership in the Masterworks chorus. Make an appointment for an audition by contacting the ChoralArt manager, Gail Knowles, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Singers currently registered with ChoralArt Masterworks or Singers will not be required to re-audition for continuing membership in Masterworks for the 2019 -2020 season.
Prepare as follows:
1. Sing a cappella the first verse of “America the Beautiful” (O beautiful for spacious skies) in the key appropriate for your voice:
. Soprano I F (begin on c, octave above middle c)
. Soprano II E-flat (begin on b-flat above middle c)
. Alto I B-flat (begin on f above middle c)
. Alto II G (begin on d above middle c)
. Tenor I E (begin on B below middle c)
. Tenor II D (begin on A below middle c)
. Bass I B-flat (begin on F below middle c)
. Bass II F (begin on C below middle c)
2. Sing a major scale to determine your range.
3. Sing, with piano accompaniment, your part in German (mm. 124-154) from Brahms’ “Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen” (PDF available below).
4. Sight-read a tonal melody.
The Masterworks consists of 80-110 voices. They perform primarily symphonic works, often as a guest of the Portland Symphony Orchestra.
Rehearsals are usually held at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland, on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 P.M. A schedule of rehearsals is below.
• Members must attend at least 80% of regular rehearsals to sing the concert(s).
• Three tardy arrivals or early departures equal one absence.
• Attendance is mandatory at all final rehearsals.
A singer is expected to make a commitment to all concerts in the season.
Absences for extenuating circumstances—your illness, an emergency in your family, or unanticipated job obligations—are completely understandable. An occasional absence from a concert because of travel with family is also OK. Absences for other reasons are viewed less kindly. Members may ask for an exception to the policy, which will be reviewed by the attendance committee. Consistency of attendance will be a factor considered at the time of the next re-audition.
2019 – 2020 SEASON
CONSIDERING MATTHEW SHEPARD—ChoralArt Singers, Camerata & Masterworks with USM Chorale
Woodfords Congregational Church
Saturday March 28, 7:00 P.M.
Sunday March 29, 2:30 P.M. & 7:00 P.M.
VERDI: REQUIEM—ChoralArt Masterworks
May 3, 2020, 2:30 P.M. & May 5, 2020, 7:30 P.M.