Auditions for ChoralArt Singers for the 2019 – 2020 Season will be held August 26.
5:00 – 9:00 p.m. at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland
Singers new to ChoralArt are invited to audition for membership in the Singers ensemble. Make an appointment for an audition by contacting the ChoralArt manager, Gail Knowles, at email@example.com.
Prepare as follows:
1. Sing a cappella the first verse of “America the Beautiful” (O beautiful for spacious skies) in the key appropriate for your voice:
. Soprano I F (begin on c, octave above middle c)
. Soprano II E-flat (begin on b-flat above middle c)
. Alto I B-flat (begin on f above middle c)
. Alto II G (begin on d above middle c)
. Tenor I E (begin on B below middle c)
. Tenor II D (begin on A below middle c)
. Bass I B-flat (begin on F below middle c)
. Bass II F (begin on C below middle c)
2. Sing a major scale to determine your range.
3. Sing selected excerpts from Britten Rejoice in the Lamb (pp. 4-6 with piano accompaniment) and Festival Te Deum (mm. 1-30, a cappella). PDFs are available below.
4. Hear a melodic pattern of 4 – 6 notes, and sing it back.
5. Sing, as instructed, either the top, middle or bottom pitch of a triad that is played on piano.
6. Sight-read a tonal melody.
THE CHORALART SINGERS
ChoralArt Singers is a mixed chorus of about 50 singers that sings Christmas program annually in December (four performances) and often a second concert in the spring (recently Poulenc’s Dialogues of the Carmelites with the Portland Symphony Orchestra, Jenkins’ The Armed Man with Portland Ballet, and Bach Cantata No. 4 under the aegis of the Friends of the Kotzschmar Organ). The ensemble also forms the nucleus of the ChoralArt Masterworks, which has sung annually with the PSO for the past three decades. Rehearsals are usually held at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland, on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 P.M. A typical season begins after Labor Day and runs through Memorial Day. A rehearsal schedule is published well in advance.
• Members must attend at least 80% of regular rehearsals to sing the concert(s).
• Three tardy arrivals or early departures equal one absence.
• Attendance is mandatory at all final rehearsals.
A singer is expected to make a commitment to all concerts in the season. Absences for extenuating circumstances—your illness, an emergency in your family, or unanticipated job obligations—are completely understandable. An occasional absence from a concert because of travel with family is also OK. Absences for other reasons are viewed less kindly. Members may ask for an exception to the policy, which will be reviewed by the attendance committee. Consistency of attendance will be a factor considered at the time of the next reaudition.
2019 – 2020 SEASON
A CHORALART CHRISTMAS —ChoralArt Singers
Woodfords Congregational Church
Dec. 7, 2019 (noon preview + 7:30 p.m.)
Dec. 8, 2019 (2:30 + 7:30 p.m.)
CHRISTMAS WITH KENNERLY—ChoralArt Singers
December 23, 2019, 7:00 P.M.
CONSIDERING MATTHEW SHEPARD—ChoralArt Singers, Camerata & Masterworks with USM Chorale
Woodfords Congregational Church
Saturday March 28, 2:30 Preview & 7:00 P.M.
Sunday March 29, 2:30 P.M. & 7:00 P.M.
VERDI: REQUIEM—ChoralArt Masterworks
May 3, 2020, 2:30 P.M. & May 5, 2020, 7:30 P.M.