Auditions will be held by appointment on January 24, 2022. Please contact Gail Knowles (Manager@ChoralArt.org) to receive an appointment. These auditions are for participation in rehearsals that will start this spring, leading up to two performances in the fall of 2022, one with PSO and the other with the Kotzschmar organ.
Vaccination will be required. Please bring proof of vaccination to your audition.
Due to the recent increase in Covid-19, all at the audition – including each and every singer – will wear a mask for the duration of the audition.
– Sing your part, a cappella, in Brahms’ “How lovely is thy dwelling place.” A PDF copy is available here . Prepare measures 1-60.
– Sing a scale to determine your range.
– Sight Reading: a brief example in a major key.
The Masterworks consists of 80-110 voices. They perform primarily symphonic works, often as a guest of the Portland Symphony Orchestra.
Rehearsals are usually held at the Allen Avenue Unitarian Universalist Church, 524 Allen Avenue, Portland, on Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 P.M. A schedule of rehearsals is below.
• Members must attend at least 80% of regular rehearsals to sing the concert(s).
• Three tardy arrivals or early departures equal one absence.
• Attendance is mandatory at all final rehearsals.
A singer is expected to make a commitment to all concerts in the season.
Absences for extenuating circumstances—your illness, an emergency in your family, or unanticipated job obligations—are completely understandable. An occasional absence from a concert because of travel with family is also OK. Absences for other reasons are viewed less kindly. Members may ask for an exception to the policy, which will be reviewed by the attendance committee. Consistency of attendance will be a factor considered at the time of the next re-audition.
2021 – 2022 SEASON
Due to the pandemic, there is no scheduled Masterworks concert this season.